- Finding your perfect notebook is highly important.
- Everyone needs "A Progressive's Style Guide"!
- Peter Thiel, a Facebook board member, is the quintessence of the evil billionaire, but Gawker's biting back.
- If you ever feel like technology hijacks your mind, you're right.
- Netflix is spending 6 billion dollars on content this year, which what I expect in a world where the greater portion of the population lives in unnecessary poverty of some kind.
- Men rate shows aimed at women more frequently and much lower than women rate shows aimed at men, so even when it comes to ratings men unnecessarily undermine women's media.
- There are some things you just shouldn't say to an LGBT parent, but, after this list, I might laugh at you if you do.
- The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie has terminal cancer, and it's a uniquely Canadian heartbreak.
- Need a reminder to read the Terms of Service on apps? Check out how deep First Response's pregnancy test app wants to go.
- Women everywhere will be unsurprised, but a male mayor sexually assaulted his secretary, and guess which one lost their job? Fuck the system.
I felt I could sleep where I stood,
swaying there in a heady daze,
drunk on skin thick-sweet from perfumed soap,
its steam rising warm in the cool evening air.
I would be clean once I hit the water
and the soap spread milky across the lake's skin.
Later, I would rub my goose pimpled arms down
with rough terrycloth
and wonder how I had ever arrived
under these stars
on such soft soil
for this brief time.
I am writing one poem every day in 2016, and I am using the hashtag #365poems to document my progress.
This week's Five Star Mixtape is brought to you by white boys, not knowing when playing nice isn't so nice, non-binary realities, the fact that getting what you want isn't always just about self-empowerment, and Terry Pratchett:
how many times
nice white boys
admired all the ways I contorted my heart and body
to fit into the shadows
When people in power are asking oppressed people to “play nice”, questions worth asking are:
What is Nice?
And who gets to decide?
My partner and I tried to shrug it off, but once their cellphones came out and they worked to “sneakily” take photos of us we decided to leave the area. Unfortunately, they followed, keeping in the aisle next to us where they whispered loudly about the “gross dude in a skirt”.
It happens all the time that white people claim not to be racist because they didn’t intend to be racist; they weren’t thinking about that at all.
But there are many situations in which it is precisely your job to think about that. Nothing induces more rage in others than your taking what you do not deserve and not even noticing.
4 things you can do because you are a fan of finding good, new writing online:
- Subscribe — Subscribe to this website to keep up with us every week.
- Share good writing — Submit nominations by Tuesday at midnight EST for possible inclusion in the next roundup.
- Show your pride — Take one of our badges for your website and spread the word.
- Support my work — Throw a little cash into my PayPal account.