- It's a long weekend, so I get to keep Aidan at home with me for an extra day today. He's kind of nice to have around.
- I've never been one for nuts on salad before, but I had nuts on salad today, and I've been wrong my whole life. They're great.
- I scored a set of Lagostina cookware for cheap, and cooking feels fancy now.
- I got into a fight with a friend, but then I made up with a friend!
- I started my second week of actual, sweat-inducing exercise every other day, and it feels really, really good.
There was a time
I got high as fuck
until the world turned black.
I'd suck smoke deep
after long nights drinking,
and wait —
wait to turn to hot cotton,
for the wrong end of the telescope
to narrow down to a small, bright spot,
the one with the silhouette of a man
who still wished me goodnight,
to pray the ship sailed smooth
as I tossed bits of toast over the side
for hungry cats —
all of it to hide the heart that couldn't bear its beat,
the edgeless well,
all of it bribes for quiet passage.
I am writing one poem every day in 2016, and I am using the hashtag #365poems to document my progress.